The storm glass works the same way as a barometer.
- Clear liquid = The weather is clear.
- Unclear liquid = The weather is foggy.
- Small dots in the liquid = The weather is damp and / or fog can be expected.
- A foggy glass with small stars inside = Can indicate thunderstorms or storms.
- Small stars in the liquid on sunny winter days = There may be snow.
- Large “flakes” in the liquid = May indicate large fluctuations in temperature and / or snow in winter.
- Crystals in the bottom of the glass = Indicates frost.
- Small wires near the top of the glass = Can indicate wind.